Disney China wows with new store
Disney has opened its largest store in the world – in Shanghai.
The Disney China store, in the Lujiazui area of Pudong, features 5000 sqm of immersive shopping experience and products featuring popular Disney characters, along with an outdoor plaza.
“We couldn’t be more delighted to open our first Disney Store in China, in Shanghai,” said Paul Candland, president of The Walt Disney Company, Asia-Pacific.
“Disney Store plays a critical role in how millions around the world experience our brand and allows kids, young adults and families to have a uniquely fun and immersive experience while shopping for their favorite Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars products,” he said.
The Chinese characters representing the specific date and time chosen to open its doors to the public – May 20 at 1:14 p.m., represents highly popular social media code among young people as a time to openly express love and long-term commitment to each other.
In a momentous week for The Walt Disney Company in China, the opening of the Disney Store in Shanghai comes one day after the topping of the Enchanted Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disney Resort, which is due to open next year.
With an estimated 40 million tourists visiting the Lujiazui area each year, the Disney Store, with its unique product range and entertaining, immersive and innovative design elements, is set to become a destination and meeting point for locals and tourists alike.
“We welcome the first Disney Store in China to Shanghai’s Pudong District and are excited about the unique role it will play to bring a new energy to Lujiazui. The Disney store is a stunning new landmark of retail, tourism and culture in China,” said Jian Danian, Pudong’s deputy governor.
The interior of the Shanghai Store was designed with elements unique to the store that Disney hopes will surprise and delight guests and bring to life the most popular characters from across Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.
Design features unique to Shanghai include:
- A Disney Magic Kingdom Castle, rising 5.855 metres at the heart of the store, featuring an hourly musical and projection show.
- A one-of-a-kind Marvel area complete with hand-sculpted statues of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and an eight foot tall Hulk.
- A character balloon area with one-of-a kind sculpted hot-air balloons featuring Disney characters including Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Daisy, Donald, Pluto, and Chip and Dale.
- Unique Mickey Mouse-shaped roof sculpted with over 8000 LED lights visible from key tourism vantage points such as the Pearl Tower.
Other features of the Disney China Shanghai store include:
- Disney characters hidden in a four metre tall tree landscape.
- A Disney Portal Gateway area features an impressive gateway inspired by Pixar’s Monster’s University and featuring all the latest in Disney entertainment.
- A crystal chandelier in the young-adult-female area where Tinker Bell can be found sprinkling Pixie Dust.
- A Magical Mirror which surprise guests who stand in front of it.
To mark the opening of its first Disney China store, The Walt Disney Company in China has announced an RMB620 000 (US$100,000) charitable donation to the Shanghai Charity Foundation (Pudong Chapter) to support programs that benefit children and families in the Pudong District, where the store is located.
“Disney is proud to support our local community and do what we can to help bring happiness and magic to kids and families in need,” said Stanley Cheung, chairman, The Walt Disney China.