Free Subscription

  • Access 15 free news articles each month

Professional

Try one month for $4
  • Unlimited access to news,insights and opinions
  • Quarterly and weekly magazines
  • Independent research reports and forecasts
  • Quarterly webinars with industry experts
  • Q&A with retail leaders
  • Career advice
  • 10% discount on events

Don Quijote set to take over Uny

Japanese discount store operator Don Quijote is approaching an agreement to take over 100 per cent of the Uny general merchandise store business, making it the country’s fourth-largest retailer.

The firm already controls 40 per cent of the Uny business, and the acquisition of the remaining 60 per cent would add 190 locations to its network, most likely converting the existing stores into discount outlets.

Don Quijote took sales revenue of ¥941.5 billion (US$8.35 billion) in the last financial year. Uny’s sales reached ¥712.8 billion ($6.35 billion).

You have 7 free articles.