Walmart China launches online flagship
Walmart launches its official Chinese flagship store today on online retail platform JD.com.
This means Chinese customers can shop online for their everyday needs with the same 90-day return service Walmart offers at its brick-and-mortar stores, which have been open in China for more than 20 years.
Walmart chose more than 1700 of its most popular items in China for its flagship store, covering such categories as food, consumables, general merchandise, toys and apparel. They include Walmart’s private-brand products, direct imported items and such favourites as Fulinmen non-GMO corn oil, Golden Fish scented rice and Telunsu grain milk.
Supported by JD’s logistics system, customers in many first- and second-tier cities can receive their packages the same day, and Walmart and JD aim to extend the same-day delivery to other cities in the future.
The new flagship is Walmart’s sixth initiative with JD.com since its strategic alliance was formed last June.
The other initiatives already announced are:
- Launch of the Sam’s flagship store offering selected merchandise from Sam’s China.
- Asda flagship store offering direct imports from the UK.
- Sam’s Global (imports) store offering direct imports from the US.
- Walmart Global (imports) offering direct imports from the store.
- JD Daojia one-hour fresh grocery delivery.
Photo caption: Walmart CEO Doug McMillon with JD.com CEO Richard Liu.