South Korean cosmetics brand Innisfree China has embarked on a head-to-toe digital makeover embracing Alibaba’s New Retail features.
Located inside the Li Xing Shopping Plaza, the store is kitted out with interactive technologies from Tmall to make shopping easier and more appealing – offering consumers a fun, interactive shopping experience not available at any other cosmetics retailer in China.
“Brands that remain fashionable over time are those which best understand consumer behavior, and that is why we think New Retail is so important for businesses in the future,” said Mike Hu, president of Tmall Fast-Moving Consumer Goods.
Digitisation of Beauty
In the Hangzhou shop, recast as an “Innisfree x Tmall New Retail Store,” customers get a feel for the Innisfree brand through games, entertainment, education and a personalised offerings. Innisfree’s makeover follows that of Intersport, a Switzerland-based sports retailer who fully digitized its Beijing flagship store through New Retail in May.
“Tmall’s technology and experience will undoubtedly play a vital role in formulating our New Retail layout in the Chinese market,” said Filipp Cai, general manager of Innisfree China. “We have introduced digital, entertainment and interactive technologies in our physical stores, merged online and offline membership and enhanced consumer insights through upgrading our stores.”
The New Retail features include:
- Magic Mirror: Augmented-reality (AR) technology allows consumers to experiment with different makeup virtually. Customers have the option of making the purchase in-store or ordering immediately from Innisfree’s flagship store on Tmall by scanning a QR code with their Mobile Taobao app.
- Smart Skin Analyser: By placing the high-precision camera on different parts of your face, the device analyses the images and instantaneously generates a detailed report of your skin condition. It also recommends the best Innisfree products to suit your skin. A scan of a QR code lets customers to keep the report in their Taobao account.
- Vending Machine: Using the Mobile Taobao app, customers can scan a QR code and purchase a face mask at a steep discount.
- Smart Shelf: When a customer picks up a product from the sensor-equipped shelf, product details pop up on a touchscreen. This allows customers to learn more about the product before buying.
- Cloud Shelf: This technology is most suitable for stores with limited space. It lets customers see all the products available on the Innisfree Tmall flagship store, not just those on display at the brick-and-mortar location.
- AR Interactive Photo Booth: Innisfree’s members can take photos through the AR interactive big screen with its brand ambassadors, popular Chinese boy band Nine Percent.
- Claw Crane: By scanning the QR code on the machine, visitors can opt to participate in Innisfree’s membership program and win three tries at grabbing a free sample.
This story originally appeared on Alizila.com, the independent but Alibaba-funded source of news on Alibaba Group activities.